Wednesday, August 11, 2004

five

there is a gang of seven or eight kids in the street below me, harassing an old woman, making her drop her groceries, scaring her half to death. i don't see you anywhere. bigger fish to fry, i'm sure. its not something i want to make a habit of, but i drop down to help her out. five of them split, cowards. even though they could probably take me if they worked together, they weren't expecting any sort of resistance. the leader of remaining three gets up in my face, and i drop him to the ground quickly. he'll live, but that doesnt mean he's lucky. the last two run. i see that the one on the ground is wearing a mask, like me. a crude version of the thing you wear, actually. are these guys with you? is this your new game now? running a mob of little kids around the city, scaring old widows? what are you getting out of this? i think you just like to be in control. i tell you this when you call again, a week after the first time we spoke.

do you know what your kids are doing out there?

those aren't my kids

they were wearing your mark

i can't stop them from doing that. you know better than to think they represent me.

they almost killed this old woman, if i hadn't stepped in...

but you did

and where were you when this was happening?

i can't be everywhere at once.

yeah, yeah...what are you calling me for anyway?

i need something from you

yeah i bet you do. you want me dead, or close. you want to punish me for what i've done. you want my blood.

actually, i do want your blood.

what? they say you really are a vampire, but...

not like that. i need a sample of your blood. it could be important.

i don't think so. there is no way i'm letting you near me.

listen. if i wanted to take you down i would have done it by now. i wouldn't be wasting my time. are you on the roof?

i'm on a roof...

on the ledge of the north side of the building, the 6th stone from the left is loose. behind it you'll find a syringe and vial. take a sample of your blood and leave it for me in that space. put the stone back.

how do you know where i....

you hung up. damn. you know where i am, thats no good. i should run. but you're right, if you could find me that easily, you could have killed me in my sleep for all i know...what on earth do you want?