Tuesday, August 10, 2004

one

it wont be long now, i can feel it. you're out there, hunting me down, stalking, finding clues. planning your revenge, probably. counting the ways you can make me pay for what i've done. you won't turn me into the police, i'm sure. there is no way you'd let me off that easy.
i'm writing this because i have time. i have time because i'm hiding. i'm hiding because once you find me, i may not do anything else ever again.

i'm not sure why you picked me. there are a thousand other criminals in this city that are worse than i. plenty of thieves, murderers, rapists, dealers out there that you could be, should be, dealing with instead of coming after me.

i was just small-time until recently. there were plenty of lines i had not crossed. but that was before i saw you. i never would have come this far, crossed those lines, if i didnt have to run. if you had let me go, gone after the bigger fish, the real criminals out there. the supervillains, for crying out loud! there is a guy out there dressed like a clown, with this crazy laugh that'll give you nightmares a month after you hear it. a real sicko. shouldn't you be doing something about that? i'm doing what i have to do, he is out there hurting people for fun. fun.

i haven't had fun in years. i can't remember the last time, really. now there is just fear, and hiding. and writing to pass the time.

i thought about turning myself in to the police to hide from you. maybe inside a cell i'd be safe, out of your sight. but maybe thats what you want...to get me into a place where i can't run...i'm sure you could get to me on the inside. not from the inmates, the people you put there, but maybe some guard, or worse. they say you know the commissioner, that guy gordon. no tellin what you can get away with, with those sorts of connections. which one of us is the real coward? me, i've got a few friends here and there. two of them are homeless, one's a junky, and one in prison. is it any wonder that i'm hiding? i can't fight you, not yet. they say you can't even be killed, but i'm not sure i believe them. i'm still limping from our last fight, i didn't have what it takes then, but i will find a way.