Tuesday, August 10, 2004

four

i know it should have been obvious that you would try to call me, but it startled me nonetheless when the phone rang at midnight last night.

hello?

hello. you know who this is.

what do you want?

you have something of mine.

what? oh, right, the phone. i suppose you want it back.

no, you can keep it.

then why are you calling?

isn't that what you wanted?

what?

well, you took my phone. you had to guess i would at least dial the number. i assume its because you have something to say to me.

well...i don't know. i mean...no. look, i'm not one of those crazy types that goes out of his way to get your attention, you know.

but you were following me.

how did you know i was...

i've been doing this for a long time. good job clearing the water tower, by the way.

uh, thanks.

so is there something you wanted to say to me, or did you have some other plan for my phone?

well...i think you should know...i know that you are after me.

after you?

yeah. i've seen you around here, since that time we met last month, we fought, and i ran. i remember.and i've heard people talking. i know that you were looking for me.

ok. so now what?

and i just want to tell you to stop.

stop?

stop chasing me.

i can't do that. why don't we just meet tonight and i'll explain.

oh i'm sure you'd love that. you think you can just call me up and say "hey lets get together, have a few beers, talk about old times" and then you break both my legs and leave me in an alley somewhere. i can't believe you think i'm that stupid!

thats not what i had in mind.

well of course you have to say that, now!

...

well?

you don't understand me. we need to talk, to know each other a little more...

i know everything i need to know about you. and you know me already, so don't pretend otherwise.

what do you mean?

we speak through our actions, don't we? i know who you are, that you are on the side of the law. that you punish those who break it, to whatever means you think are right. you know that i am a thief, i break the law. i think that defines our roles pretty clearly.

i think there's more to it than that. you are more than just a thief.

well, see, that makes it worse doesnt it? i knew you'd find out about that. i did what i had to do, to protect myself. i didnt want to shoot that idiot in chinatown, but he wouldnt shut up. he would have ruined everything. i knew you'd have to bring that up. that makes it worse for me, doesnt it?

thats not what i meant.

yeah i'm sure, listen, you aren't going to trick me into just laying down, and giving myself up. i'm warning you, stop trying to find me or you'll be sorry.

i hung up. i can't believe you'd try that bit on me. i need to get some sleep.